Sunday, July 20, 2008

Some Quik Thoughts on West Palm Mission Trip

-I believe and have for some time now that the best way to get a student involved in our youth group is to send them to our mission trips/mission projects. I've seen more students get engaged in our ministry through these trips. It just seems that walls come down when you're all working towards one common goal....and deep friendships usually spring forth from that.

-Even students that "don't like kids" can make an impact on kids.

-Getting out of your comfort zone always pushes you to re-evaluate areas in your life. And more often then not...change them.

-Most students that go on mission trips will have to answer this question at least once before they leave: "is He calling me to missions?"

-It doesn't surprise me when students do stupid stuff. But, unfortunately, it does surprise me when they do amazing things. I'm praying that the Lord changes that in me.

-Twitter is a wonderful way to keep parents in the loop on some little things that happen through out the week.

-Hearing testimonies of young men who grow up in the "hood" selling drugs, getting kicked out of the house; and then turning it around and using the story of their life for God's glory to impact those kids, always gets me choked up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That stuff is so true. Missions really make you evaluate your life. My brother made a good point, he said if you come home from missions and go back to disrespecting parents and arguing with siblings, does the whole experience make you a missionary or a hypocrite? That is really something to make someone think. Personally, God spoke to me pretty loudly at times while in West Palm, and some of it is frightening in a way, for He is definitely answering prayer, though not always the way I would like, and He is guiding me and helping me with future decisions. He definitely challenged my trust in Him a bunch on the trip.

Anonymous said...

Ok, call me old now, but what is "twitter"? LOL I thought I was on top of all this stuff.