Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tweens and the "R" Rated Movie

As a minister to tweens and teens I am constantly looking at the culture, trying to understand the M.O. behind ad campaigns and movies. It isn't a shock to hear that many tweens watch "R" rated movies....because I believe that is who they are marketing to. I know, shocking right? How do you market "R" rated movies to tweens? Very carefully. Take the new movie "Step Brothers" with Will Ferrel. The movie was advertised for the longest time in front of PG-13 movies. It was "not yet rated" and because of that many tweens were drawn in to the hilarity of Will Ferrel and John C. Riley. It's not difficult to wander into a movie while holding the ticket to a different movie. I did it as a teen, and I'm sure if I did it as a teen then it is still going on today. In case you were wanting some statistics on this, you can read it here at USA Today.


Here is the Plugged-In synopsis of "Step Brothers".

No comments: